Thursday, October 18, 2007

Horton says record matches promises

As one might expect, Councilwoman Jan Horton disputes Councilman John Anderson’s comments in last week’s column that Horton’s actions “are diametrically opposed to her promises” and “she has become that which she ran against in the election.”

“I ran as a low-density, responsible-growth candidate and not specifically as a ‘reform’ candidate,” Horton countered. “Mr. Anderson’s accusations are unfounded and without merit.”

Horton and Anderson finished first and second in the 2006 City Council contest, both endorsed by the grassroots Yorba Linda Residents for Responsible Redevelopment.

But since riding together on a fire truck in last year’s Fiesta Day parade, they’ve taken opposing stands on key issues, including a city-Chamber of Commerce contract and 28-year council veteran Hank Wedaa’s return to the governing dais.

“When I reviewed my voting record, I found that I have voted the same way as Mr. Anderson 83 percent of the time, excluding consent calendar votes, far more than I have with any other council member,” Horton noted.

“As I look back at my campaign promises and my actions as a council member, I have found that my voting record is very much aligned with the promises and goals that I had set forth last year,” Horton added.

And, while Anderson stated he has “no intention of running for re-election,” Horton noted, “I will run for re-election as long as I feel I can make a positive difference,” although she cited some frustrations with local politics.

“I have been disappointed with the political pressures put on me for issues such as the council seat appointment or…the Chamber of Commerce contract. I do not mind people disagreeing with me or being angry, but it reached epic proportions….” Horton stated.

Anderson supported naming Wedaa to a vacant council seat, while Horton opposed his appointment, and Anderson opposed the chamber contract Horton supported.

Horton explained, “The pressures were in the form of e-mails, telephone calls and spoken conversation and became very personal…. conversations are counter-productive when reduced to personal attacks.”

Anderson’s also a victim of e-mail attacks. He forwarded to me one using his name and the numbers 666 in a phony return address he received during the June campaign. “This is well beyond the pale,” Anderson commented.

A FINAL NOTE


Both council members host Web sites, horton4yl.com and anderson4yl.com, where Horton is dubbed “the people’s advocate” and Anderson “the people’s true advocate.”

But Horton criticizes Anderson’s site: “I question his motivation and whether posting inflammatory statements is ethical and in the best interest of the community.”