Thursday, October 04, 2007

Searching for a voice nobody has heard

The mystery surrounding the phantom-like Yorba Linda Voice newspaper has deepened since I first wrote about the puzzling publication three weeks ago.

Publisher Brad Pfanstiel’s petition to the Superior Court to have the Voice “ascertained and established” a “newspaper of general circulation” has been “approved as submitted,” a clerk at the Lamoreaux Justice Center in Orange told me.

But I still haven’t seen a copy of the elusive newspaper, and I’ve searched since spotting a “notice of intention to petition” the court in the Yorba Linda Star’s legal section Aug. 2.

No official or citizen I’ve asked for the past two months has ever heard of or seen the Voice. Copies aren’t available in the public library, and I haven’t found the paper for sale in any local business establishment.

However, Pfanstiel’s petition claims the Voice “has been printed and published regularly every Wednesday” in Yorba Linda “for more than one year” before the petition’s May 30 filing date and has “a bona fide subscription list of paying subscribers.”

The petition also states that a monthly average of at least 50 percent of typesetting and printing has been performed in Yorba Linda with the paper “issued from the same city where it is printed and sold…each calendar week.”

The only voice contact I’ve had with the publisher is when I called the 800 number for Pfanstiel Printers on East Anaheim Street in Long Beach.

Pfanstiel said the Voice began publishing “about three years ago” and runs from 8 to 20 pages per issue. He offered to send me a copy or a $20 annual subscription, but the line went dead before I could give him my address.

A subsequent e-mail apologized—Pfanstiel wrote, “My battery died”—and offered “possibly” a “complimentary subscription” if I’d send articles for publication. But another phone call and reply e-mail from me weren’t returned.

A newspaper genuinely interested in serving the community and potential advertisers would seemingly seek the largest circulation possible, so the unavailability of a court-sanctioned “general circulation” newspaper continues to be a mystery.

A FINAL NOTE


The identity of the so-called “truth” blogger, who posted unsigned comments during the June special council election campaign, remains unknown, despite e-mails I’ve received listing several suspects.

Attorney Bill Davis, a past Yorba Linda Community Foundation president, cc’d me this e-mail he sent the secretive site: “Why do you hide who you are?” I’d add, “Why don’t you have the courage to stand behind your postings?”